What makes a good opportunity?
Remember that recruiting is not about getting every prospective volunteer to connect; it's about telling a compelling story with details, deal-breakers, and a call to action that appeals to the right volunteer for your organization. Here are some of our top recommendations.
A catchy title goes a long way. The title of your opportunity is your chance to make a great first impression and stand out from the crowd. Follow these three tips: be creative with your title—aim to inspire; make it eye-catching; and, clearly state the activity. Here are some good examples:
- "Bring a smile to a senior- deliver a meal!"
- "Are you good at math? Become a tutor"
- "Assist a child. Become a court guardian"
It’s all in the details. Volunteers are narrowing down their searches using keywords, cause areas, and skills. So, use detailed and relevant keywords in your opportunity, both title and description, and don’t forget to select the applicable causes and skills.
Pick the right Opportunity Contact. The contact you select for an opportunity will receive email notifications from VolunteerMatch when a volunteer expresses interest in it. Make sure the right contact is assigned to the opportunity so Volunteers hear back from you and you can get the information you need. To add a contact to an opportunity, you must first add them to your organization's account.
Make use of VolunteerMatch Member Tools! If you are a VolunteerMatch Member, you have access to additional tools that help personalize and manage your volunteer recruitment. Make sure you’re putting the tools below to good use:
- Repost opportunities with one-click to keep them near the top of the search results
- Automatically send customized greetings to prospective volunteers
- Ask prospective volunteers customized questions at the moment they express interest
- Automatically share important documents with interested volunteers
- Embed your VolunteerMatch opportunities into your own website
- Copy an opportunity to streamline the creation of new opportunities
More information about VolunteerMatch Member Benefits here